I was just on the phone with my husband and we were talking about giving to others and how sometimes, it can come with a price. Sometimes that price may be time, sometimes it’s money, sometimes it’s sleep or whatever. There is a man who gave the ULTIMATE sacrifice…his LIFE…and so who are we to…well, I won’t go there, at least not here and now. But anyway…
I would be willing to bet that at some point in your life, you needed that extra helping hand or that extra hand-holding or that long time spent talking to you for whatever reason. It’s amazing how once we reach a successful point in our lives we forget that…we forget the sacrifices made on our behalves.
So in business… if we really…TRULY want to be successful, sometimes we may have to give until it hurts and not always want to take, take, take or look out for “A #1”. We may not feel like listening to Joe Blow’s sob story or we may not want to spend an hour on the phone helping someone understand something we’re trying to teach them.
I’m not saying that we will have to do this with EVERY single person we come across because we won’t! For example, some will not require a lot, just a basic “show me where to go/what to do” and they’re doing it! Also, those who never follow your instructions when you DO take the time to instruct them definitely do not merit too much more of your time after a while. Those who never take action on what you have helped them with…sometimes you have to just let them go or else they will drain you. But the bottom line is, there will be those who might take up a lot of your time and energy BUT…they are go-getters who once you tell them, they will take off and RUN with it and make you darned proud.
And yes, there are productive ways of helping people…sometimes it just NEEDS to be one-on-one but in those instances where it does not:
1. Do tutorial-based videos using a tool such as Camtasia to instruct a large group of people at one time
2. Do webinars and/or teleseminars or teleconferences to reach large amounts of people who may have the same needs all at once
3. Hold live events such as Meet-ups and other such gatherings for your local team members or prospects, again, to reach a large audience at once
4. Write articles, blog posts, and create Squidoo lenses and Hub Pages that give helpful advice, hints, tips, etc.
5. Get on live stream shows such as UStream and do a show where people can interact and ask you questions..set aside certain days/times to be live and available.
Those are just some ways to help others in a more effecient manner. But again, sometimes it WILL take doing a little personal one-on-one from time to time so be willing to make that sacrifice every now and then and if you ever find yourself feeling a little selfish and not wanting to do that, just reflect back to those who took the time to do it for YOU when you needed it!